Picture Marylebone – Review
An unpretentious restaurant, minimalist in style but with maximum flavour!
A trio named Tom, Alan and Colin who worked in Michelin-starred restaurants decided to open up Picture Fitzrovia in 2013. Picture Marylebone opened last week and offers the same exceptional standard of food. Think Michelin-starred looking plates in a more casual, relaxed environment.
The menu consists of small plates, which are neatly laid out in section on the menu. It’s recommended to choose one dish from each section (ranging from £9-12) or you could try the 6 course tasting menu for £40, which encompasses all the best dishes on the menu. Our waiting staff were very accommodating and even let us swap one of the ‘starters’ of charred cauliflower for ravioli of caramelised onion!
Our 6 course tasting menu consisted of:
1. Chilled Summer green vegetable soup – a wonderful palate cleanser to start the meal
2. Ravioli of caramelised onion, pecorini and parsley – beautifully light and fresh
3. Lightly smoked pork, beetroot, pine nut and dill – melt in your mouth meat with amazing complimentary flavours on the rest of the plate
4. Stone bass, Provencal vegetables, panisse, black olive – the most colourful plate on the menu, with delicately soft fish that is cooked to perfection.
5. Daphne’s lamb neck, crisp sweetbreads, tomato and anchovy – lamb that literally pulls off the bone with just a gentle touch.
6. Dark chocolate mousse, salt caramel crumble. – a lovely light way to end the meal, leaving you full but not bloated.
Working in Fitzrovia, I am a short stroll away from Marylebone high street and yet I always tend to wander the other way into the crowded buzz of Soho and Oxford Street.
Picture Marylebone is certainly placed in the ‘upmarket’ side of town, but the lovely thing about it is that it has a unique charm – effortlessly slick food with a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere. The food not only looks good on the plate, but is packed full of flavour – never an easy feat, but something that these guys have got mastered!
19 New Cavendish Steet, London, W1G 9TZ
Closest Tube: Bond Street/ Baker Street